Consistently sunny weather and 70 miles of magnificent coastline are what draw active types and sun seekers alike to San Diego throughout the year: that and the mouthwatering Mexican cuisine, thriving nightlife and one of the country’s favorite zoos. And then there are the beaches: Retreat to Mission Beach to catch a wave, to La Jolla to soak up the sun and to Coronado for a leisurely seaside stroll. When you’re ready to ditch your flip-flops and board shorts for more formal attire, you’ll find pockets of vivacious nightlife throughout, especially near the historical Gaslamp Quarter.
The U.S. News & World Report travel rankings are based on analysis of expert and user opinions. Read more about how we rank vacation destinations.
San Diego is ranked as:
- #1 in Best Family Beach Vacations in the USA
- #2 in Best Affordable Winter Vacations
- #2 in Best Affordable Family Vacations
- #3 in Best Winter Family Vacations
- #4 in Best Family Vacations in the USA
- #5 in Best Family Vacations
- #6 in Best Family Spring Break Destinations
- #8 in Best Cheap Spring Break Destinations
- #9 in Best Nightlife Scenes in the USA
- #9 in Best Spring Vacations
- #10 in Best Places to Visit in the USA